Wednesday, April 18

Is retirement a competition

Lynn has said sometimes that I can be a little competitive with her about stuff. I guess I can be, and I guess my latest thing I've done could be construed as that.

Prior to Tax day, I made sure to fully fund both of our 2006 Roth IRA's. I had stopped funding them fully due to buying the Mazda van back in January. But lately, I had had beeng getting jittery watching the stocks I own climb and fall again, and had decided it is best just to liquidate all our stock holdings and buy into Mutual Funds. So,

  • Goodbye Home Depot,
  • farewell Walgreens,
  • auf wiedersehen Cisco Systems
  • arrivederci Dell Computer
  • Zijte blaze Citibank (had to throw some Czech in there)


Had to keep Starbucks though, you know, cool name and all.

So, back to the competition thing now. I called my Ed Jones broker asking for a good mutual fund and he suggested a couple of international funds. I looked up what S&P had to say about them and both looked good. I thought what the hey, I bought equal amounts of both and put one in my account and one is Lynn's. The lifetime inceptions on the two are %14.09 and %13.85. I gave myself the lower one. Also, ONe of them is a Global fund and the other is International. Must be a difference there somewhere.

Had a good day with Nate today. We went around the block again in the bike trailer. He also got to watch Jackson run after us. Then again, he was in a really fussy mood during dinner. I think he was tired.

I packed him up and took him to the comic shop though. When we got there, he did his usual things (banging on the glass display cases, walking behind the checkout counter, pulling comics off the shelves, climbing on benches, pulling things out of shipping boxes). Thankfully, Mike the Comic Book Guy is pretty cool about the whole thing. I'm sure he has to clean Nate's prints of the glass every week.

Well, I need to go. Lynn went to the Butterfly House with Nate today, so hopefully she'll upload the pics she took for you all to see on her blog soon.

Later,

No comments: