Friday, April 18

I feel the sky tumbling down

Big news in St. Louis today is the earthquake that hit Southern Illinois. I was woke up by it. I thought it was Jackson standing at the foot of our bed wagging his butt and shaking the whole bed. I guess in my weariness, I didn't really think about that one.

THen today we had a meeting in a little conference room. At around 10:15, an aftershock hit and it caused the door to rattle and you could feel the pulsating in the floor. Weird feeling.

I haven't ever experienced an earthquake before.

The April 18, 2008 Midwest earthquake was one of the largest earthquakes recorded in the state of Illinois, measuring a magnitude of 5.2.[1] It occurred at 4:37am CDT (9:37 UTC) along the Wabash Fault at a depth of 11.6 km. It was centered near West Salem, Illinois and Bellmont, Illinois, specifically 38.450°N, 87.890°W, [2] and felt as far as 450 miles (724 km) away.[3] Tremors were felt as far west as Kansas City[4], as far south as Atlanta[5], and as far east and north as Southern Ontario[6].

The earthquake epicenter was located in the Wabash Valley Seismic Zone, a possible northern extension of the more famous New Madrid Seismic Zone.[7]

An aftershock occurred at 10:14am CDT (15:14 UTC),[7]; it was magnitude 4.6, and also centered near West Salem, just north of the original quake.[8][9]


Here's what some of my fellow bloggers had to say about it:
John

Tara
Greene Family
Sandy
Kelli


Later,

No comments: